In recent years, the DBI Group has recorded steady growth in engineering and consulting, research and development and testing services. The origins of the company were the work of Wilhelm August Lampadius, who was professor of chemistry and metallurgy at the Royal Saxon Mining Academy in Freiberg from 1794 to 1842. The Deutsches Brennstoffinstitut Freiberg (DBI) emerged from the Bergakademie in 1956 and, as a central structure, was to concentrate research and development in the field of fossil fuels. From 1966 on, the gas sector was represented by a separate, rapidly growing department. With the political turnaround in the 1990s, a privatisation process began in the new federal states.
During this phase DBI GUT emerged from the gas engineering departments of DBI in 1991 and has since then asserted itself in the German and European research landscape. As a research institution of the German Association of Gas and Water Engineering (DVGW) the DBI GUT found a firm place. The increase of publicly funded, basic research projects in the 1990s and the changed situation in testing finally led to the foundation of DBI GTI as a 100% subsidiary of DBI GUT in 1998. Here, the basic research activities, the independent test laboratory for energy and the further education for the gas industry are bundled. It has always been part of our company's strategy to deal especially with those topics and projects that require innovative technologies and methods. The number of employees has now grown to over 95 engineers, scientists and technicians. The DBI Group is thus an active and reliable subsidiary of the DVGW.